Review: Anahola Huli-Huli Chicken and a Beach Picnic in East Kauai
What is Huli-huli chicken and where do you get it?
Huli-huli chicken is rotisserie chicken done the Hawaiian way; the chicken is marinated in pineapple juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and other seasonings before being grilled over mesquite wood. “Huli” means turn and during the cooking process, the chicken is turned over constantly.
While there are a few restaurants that specialize in it, part of the fun of being in Hawaii is picking up huli-huli chicken from a road-side stand and enjoying it at the beach.
Review: Anahola Huli-Huli Chicken
On our most recent trip to Kauai, we got to experience some of the best chicken we’ve ever had at a small roadside stand called Huli Chicken Anahola (or some variation of that). If you are driving towards north, the stand is off Kuhio Highway to the left shortly after the U-Turn for Christ Kauai in Anahola.
Based on their current hours, they are open from Thursday-Sunday between 11:00-15:30 (or until they sell out). The menu is pretty simple; you choose how much chicken you want and it comes in a box with rice, side salad and dressing. We ordered the half chicken plate ($13) as recommended by the staff and it was enough for Jason and I to share. All the greens are either grown in the owner’s garden or purchased from the farmer’s market. The staff are friendly, caring, and nice to talk to as they have very strongly rooted values and beliefs about preserving nature and Hawaiian culture.
While you can eat there, we took our meal to Kealia Beach a short drive away to watch the surfing and go for a quick swim ourselves.
**This is a small business and so it is recommended you call prior to driving all the way out there to make sure they’re open and that they’re not sold out.
- Rating: 18/20 – We would visit again.
- Quality: 5 – Excellent
- Quantity: 5 – Excellent
- Service: 5 – Excellent
- Location/Atmosphere: 3 – Good (not sure there is a bathroom and limited seating space).
We visited in April 2017 and July 2018.
For more information: https://www.yelp.com/biz/huli-chicken-anahola.
- Guide: Best Beaches in Kauai
- Poke in Hawaii: Options for Kauai, Maui and Oahu
- Hiking the Awa’awapuhi Trail in the Koke’e State Park, Kauai
- Review: Anahola Huli-Huli Chicken and a Beach Picnic in East Kauai
- Review: Cafe Turmeric, Hanalei, Kauai
- Review: The Fresh Shave, Kauai, Hawaii
- Review: Koloa Landing Resort, Kauai, Hawaii
- Our Top 10 Pools: Enhance Your Hotel Stay
- Destination Guide to Oahu: Waikiki and Beyond
- Where to Eat and Drink on Oahu in Hawaii
- Getting Around on Oahu in Hawaii: Should you rent a car?
- Where to Stay on Oahu: Waikiki and Beyond
- Stay: A Review of the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Guide and Tips: Beaches and Hikes on Oahu
- The Big Island of Hawaii – Kilauea Volcano and 5 Other Things You Need to Know
- The Big Island of Hawaii – Where to Eat and Drink
- Review: The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, Big Island Hawaii