Review: Cuisine Wat Damnak in Siem Reap Cambodia
Cuisine Wat Damnak has received the award of being one of Asia’s Top 50 restaurants in 2016/2017 and Cambodia’s best restaurant and we lucked out and got a reservation to eat there when we visited Siem Reap. The menu changes weekly between two tasting menus where we each sampled Cambodian ingredients prepared in French style/technique. What a memorable meal!
In order to maximize tasting everything, we each got a different tasting meal and shared each dish. From simple things like fruit with Kaffir lime chili salt and pandan jackfruit crème brulée (might just be the best CB I’ve ever had…) to more complex dishes such as the steamed maam (fermented fish) with a delicate salad of flowers and starfish and shallots, fried fish with water mimosa salad, leopard eel jungle curry, and and the amuse bouche of frog legs and wing bean salad, it was an outstanding meal and overall experience.
As for drinks, they had very affordable cocktails, wine, and even local craft beer from Siem Reap Brewery on tap. We chose to sit outside but they also have indoor dining options on two floors. It was also nice to see that they are a family restaurant and did their best to cater to families with children.
**This is a very popular place and advanced reservations are a must; bookings are accepted up to 90 days in advance. We reserved 1 month prior to our visit.
- Quality: 5 – Excellent: Everything tasted fresh and was well presented.
- Quantity: 5 – Excellent: Portions were just right and the prices were very affordable.
- Service: 5 – Excellent: Between the regular staff and the owners, we felt very cared and looked after.
- Atmosphere/Location: 4 – Very Good: We chose to eat outside as it was nice and it stopped raining but we were near the kitchen and there was a lot of foot traffic. It is also easy to walk here if you are staying in Siem Reap (we walked from the Park Hyatt in about 10 minutes)
- Overall Score: We would visit again 19/20
We visited in October 2016.
More information: http://www.cuisinewatdamnak.com/
- Review: Cuisine Wat Damnak in Siem Reap Cambodia
- Review: Chong Phov Khmer Restaurant in Siem Reap Cambodia
- 5 Tips to Get Upgraded to a Suite