Guide – Craft Beer in Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, and Cancun
There is a whole world of beer to discover in Mexico beyond the mass produced “cerveza nacional” beers like Corona, Pacifico, and Dos Esquis and we’re here to tell you all about it. In the last couple of years, craft beer has been making its way into popular tourist destinations in Mexico, like Playa Del Carmen, Tulum and Cancun, which is great news for those of us who support craft beer and prefer it to the typical mass produced beers. In this post, we’ll help you find “cervezas artesanal” in the Mayan Riviera area so that when you tag your photos #drinklocal, you really will be drinking local!
How to use this guide:
When there is only one location of the place mentioned, if you click on its name, you will be taken to a Google Map where you can pin the location for future reference. When possible, we also included the place’s official website but many of the smaller places only use Facebook or have a Yelp listing. For more information about some of the places mentioned in this guide, see our “Related Posts” at the bottom of the page for detailed review/information. As we continue to visit the area and discover new places, we will keep updating this page. This page was last updated on June 21, 2018.
- Cerveza Pescadores: Cerveza Pescadores has a facility in Puerto Morelos where you can stop by and enjoy a few beers and food from a food truck. We have never had the chance to stop in but it is in our to-do list as the space looks fun and inviting. For more information: https://pescadores.mx/en/page/brewery
- Hermana Republica Tulum: Hermana Republica is a brewery/gastropub in Tulum town where you can enjoy their craft beers and Mexican/Mediteranen fusion food. We really enjoyed the beers here and would recommend a visit here. For more information: https://www.yelp.ca/biz/hermana-rep%C3%BAblica-tulum
- Barra Artesanal: Located in Playa Car, Barra Artesanal is a small craft beer bar that features about 6 taps; 1-2 are German beers and the others from Colima, Pescadores, etc. Beers cost 65-80 pesos (size and type) and they accept card and cash but the card machine doesn’t always work but since it’s in a mall complex there is an ATM nearby. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/barraartesanalmx/
- Club de la Cerveza: Club de la Cerveza known as « World Beer Club » is located in Playa Del Carmen town on the pedestrian street between Calle 34 and Calle 38. In addition to featuring an impressive draft beer selection, they have many bottles as well. Club de la Cerveza draws a local crowd as well as tourists for beer and food. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/clubdelacerveza.mx/
- Chedraui: Chedraui is a big box grocery/department store with locations along the coast (Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Tulum, etc.) and has the largest selection of craft beers to purchase in individual cans or bottles. If you’re interested in seeing the selection and prices, visit the Chedraui website: https://www.chedraui.com.mx/.
- Chedraui Selecto: If you are staying in the hotel zone in Cancun, you may want to visit the Chedraui Selecto if your resort doesn’t have craft beer as they have a great selection here too.
- “Gourmet”: This little market is located in Playa Del Carmen on Avenida Constituyentes between Avenida 20 Nte and 25 Nte beside the Grupo Desur Real Estate office (we forgot to take a photo of the shop, there is not information online yet, and it doesn’t appear on Google Streetview). In the back of this shop, there is a small fridge with cold craft beer from Colima. The prices are slightly higher than Chedraui but it is a lot more convenient. They only accept cash here.
- Hyatt Ziva Cancun: Most all-inclusive resorts serve the run-of-the-mill cervezas nacional so if you’re looking for something different, consider the Hyatt Ziva in Cancun. We stayed at the Hyatt Ziva Cancun which has its own brewery onsite that makes a pale ale, an IPA, and a stout. The great part was that we could take the beer to go and enjoyed it at the other restaurants onsite that didn’t have any craft beer. If we’re totally honest, Jason chose this resort over others because of the craft brewery onsite!
- Encantada Tulum: We stayed at Encantada in Tulum and we were happy that they had craft beers from the bar even if they were pricey because it allowed us to stay on resort and enjoy a beer on the beach.
- Los Aguachiles: Los Aguachiles has restaurants in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen (2 locations) and Tulum. In addition to national beers, they also feature bottled craft beers from Pescadores which pair well with their seafood tostadas. The Pescadores beers costs about 70 pesos. For more information: http://www.losaguachiles.mx/
- TaconTenedor: TaconTenedor is a seafood and taco restaurant located on Avenida Constituyentes in Playa Del Carmen town. In addition to national beers, they also feature craft beers in bottles and cans from a number of breweries in Mexico and the US. Bottles and cans vary in price but range from 50-90 pesos. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/Tacontenedor/.
- Safari: Safari is a restaurant on the beach area of Tulum. In addition to a small menu of items like tacos, ceviches and salads, they feature a selection of craft beers from Pescadores and Colima. For more information: https://www.safaritulum.com.mx/
Did you know there were so many craft beer options in the Mayan Rivieria? Did we forget any places you visit to find cervezas artesanal? Are you tempted to try cerveza artesanal on your next trip or will you stick to the cerveza nacional?
- Travel Advisory for Mexico – A Vacation Horror Story
- Flying Interjet Between Canada and Mexico: What You Need to Know
- Mexico City: Walk, Eat, Drink and Repeat
- Playa del Carmen: Local Culture and Beaches in the Mayan Riviera
- Sargassum Seaweed in the Caribbean: Will it ruin my beach vacation?
- Tulum: Planning a Day Trip from Playa Del Carmen
- Unfinished Business: 3 Days in Tulum
- Review: Playa Escondida, Sayulita, Mexico
- Review: Hotel La Semilla, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Review: Ignacia Guest House, Mexico City
- Review: Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen Resort
- Review: Hyatt Ziva Cancun All-Inclusive
- Guide: Craft Beer in Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, and Cancun
- Review: Los Aguachiles in Playa Del Carmen Mexico
- Review: El Fogon in Playa Del Carmen Mexico
- Review: Birria Tacos y Consome in Playa Del Carmen Mexico
- Review: TaconTenedor in Playa Del Carmen Mexico