Review: Cafe Turmeric, Hanalei, Kauai
Cafe Turmeric is a food truck located in Hanalei; it is accessible by car or a short walk from the beach. It is located in a food truck court (if you can call it that) so if not everyone feels like Indian food, they can choose something else while you enjoy your delicious meal.
Having spent most of the morning walking and swimming, we were quite hungry so we each ordered a plate and split an order of naan. My husband ordered the fish vindaloo and I ordered the coconut shrimp curry (both come with rice). Both meals were delicious, well balanced, and generous with the portions of fish and shrimp. You need the naan to soak up all the sauce because it is so good!
When we return, we will both get the fish vindaloo because the sauce is one of the best that I’ve ever had.
What You Need to Know:
- Cash only.
- They are closed Sundays – Mondays and sometimes close due to the weather and other random events so check their Facebook page prior to visiting unless you’re in the area.
- There is a convenience store that sells cold beer and other patrons were enjoying a cold beer with their meals at the picnic table. I am not sure what the laws are but if you keep it discreet and don’t act like a jerk, it should be fine for yourself and everyone else.
- They have vegeterian and vegan options.
- Quality: 5 – Excellent: Everything tasted fresh and was well presented.
- Quantity: 5 – Excellent: We were quite surprised at how much fish and shrimp was served as sometimes they can use the rice as filler but there was a good balance in each dish and we struggled to finish each dish.
- Service: 5 – Excellent: While this is an order at the window and come back when your name is called place, they brought our naan to us as it took a little longer and they made sure to ask us if we enjoyed the meal.
- Atmosphere/Location: 4 – Very Good: This is a food truck court setup and there are limited picnic tables and shade.
- Overall Score: We would visit again 19/20
When we visited: April 2017
- Guide: Best Beaches in Kauai
- Poke in Hawaii: Options for Kauai, Maui and Oahu
- Hiking the Awa’awapuhi Trail in the Koke’e State Park, Kauai
- Review: Anahola Huli-Huli Chicken and a Beach Picnic in East Kauai
- Review: Cafe Turmeric, Hanalei, Kauai
- Review: The Fresh Shave, Kauai, Hawaii
- Review: Koloa Landing Resort, Kauai, Hawaii
- Our Top 10 Pools: Enhance Your Hotel Stay
- Destination Guide to Oahu: Waikiki and Beyond
- Where to Eat and Drink on Oahu in Hawaii
- Getting Around on Oahu in Hawaii: Should you rent a car?
- Where to Stay on Oahu: Waikiki and Beyond
- Stay: A Review of the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Guide and Tips: Beaches and Hikes on Oahu
- The Big Island of Hawaii – Kilauea Volcano and 5 Other Things You Need to Know
- The Big Island of Hawaii – Where to Eat and Drink
- Review: The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, Big Island Hawaii