Review: The Fresh Shave, Kauai, Hawaii
The Fresh Shave is a food trailer that offers shaved ice in Kalaheo, Kauai. It’s a short detour of the Kaumualii Highway or north of Koloa, depending which way you are driving. Compared to some other shave ice places, The Fresh Shave hand shaves the ice and offers healthier toppings and ingredients to accentuate your shave ice, fresh fruit, chia seed cream, and no high fructose corn syrup in their homemade syrups. After reading about it in an inflight magazine on our way to Kauai, we decided to make plans to check it out.
As a lot of the options were sold out when we arrived around 14:00, we ordered The Handlebar, which is pineapple + coconut. As there is only 1 person working and the process is pretty time consuming, we waited about 20 minutes in a line with about 5 other people. While we enjoyed the concoction, it was only average at best; we found the ice texture to be coarse, the topping quantity was poor, and the overall flavours were not what would have expected from fresh toppings.
If there is one thing that The Fresh Shave does well, it’s their branding, which is too bad since the product itself was underwhelming. Maybe it’s because we have enjoyed Ululani’s in Maui so much but this one didn’t quite stack up.
- Rating: 12/20 – We would NOT visit again.
- Quality: 3 – Good
- Quantity: 3 – Good
- Service: 3 – Good
- Location/Atmosphere: 3 – Good (it’s in a parking lot with nothing much else there)
- We visited in May 2017
- For more information: https://www.thefreshshave.com/
- Guide: Best Beaches in Kauai
- Poke in Hawaii: Options for Kauai, Maui and Oahu
- Hiking the Awa’awapuhi Trail in the Koke’e State Park, Kauai
- Review: Anahola Huli-Huli Chicken and a Beach Picnic in East Kauai
- Review: Cafe Turmeric, Hanalei, Kauai
- Review: The Fresh Shave, Kauai, Hawaii
- Our Top 10 Pools: Enhance Your Hotel Stay
- Destination Guide to Oahu: Waikiki and Beyond
- Where to Eat and Drink on Oahu in Hawaii
- Getting Around on Oahu in Hawaii: Should you rent a car?
- Where to Stay on Oahu: Waikiki and Beyond
- Guide and Tips: Beaches and Hikes on Oahu
- The Big Island of Hawaii – Kilauea Volcano and 5 Other Things You Need to Know
- The Big Island of Hawaii – Where to Eat and Drink
- Review: The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, Big Island Hawaii